Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning units can produce water, at times. Warm air in your house usually gets exposed to an evaporator coil’s cold surface. These aspects results in condensation. It is integral to channel out water from systems with a proper drainage mechanism. Such machines accumulate moisture that then drips down into a drain pan. This pan is placed beneath the system coils. It is integral for machines to use pumps for preventing dripping of water. Residential systems utilize condensate pumps with low power. It is fundamental to ensure regular maintenance and cleaning routine of machines.
Clogging of drain pipes
Water leakage can be a common problem in indoor units. While an HVAC system is in cooling mode, water tends to leak from the suction line and indoor evaporator coils. Components like black insulation will prevent condensation pump from dripping. At times, features of insulation might not work properly, or it can be open at the seams. It is essential to tape and seal the insulation so that water dripping can cease.
- Evaporators have a capability of producing immense water or condensation during summer months. This water then runs down the condenser coil into a pain and then finally, into a drain. Condensate pumps help in absorbing water and then pass it either into a plumbing drain or outside the house.
- However, if coils are dirty or clogged, then it can block the passage of water. Condensed liquid will not pass through coils and will drip onto the floor because of clogging. For this reason, it is fundamental to clean and maintain the coils, annually.
- Clogged drain pipes of condensate pumps can cause overflowing of a system’s drain pan. Blocking of drain pipes can be due to algae, dust, debris and even rust.
- Another problem that can occur is an improper installation of pipes. With time, drain pipes can loosen which causes its disconnection from the HVAC unit. This eventually results in the drainage of water either on the floor or through ceilings.
- Along with a clogged drain line, it is important to establish the leak’s actual locations. Leakages primarily depend on problems that can occur in the primary or secondary drain pipes.
- There can be certain potential causes for water leakage through condensate pumps. It can range from low refrigerant level, clogged air filter, condensate buildup in poorly insulated ductwork. Cracks in pumps and drain pan can also cause issues.
Fixing certain crucial issues
Problems of leakage can result in freezing of evaporator coils that can slow down a machine. Nevertheless, you can avoid these problems with some useful fixes. You must ensure that there is a secondary drain line in HVAC units. For preventing overflow of drain pans, you must install a safety pan under the machine. Checking refrigerant level and cleaning the condensation pump on a regular basis is crucial. Drainage systems must comprise of a proper air vent. It is vital to keep pumps free from mildew and mold infestation. It is imperative to flush condensate pumps with bleach and water solution. Professional technicians can help in fixing broken joints, pipes and fittings along with unglued components of a machine.continue reading
Being a homeowner, you are entitled to various types of jobs. From cleaning your houses to washing off some dishes, the work never seems to end. Well, among so many works, taking care of your HVAC system also falls as a major duty. If you ever thought of deferring the work, it might end to the inefficient use and overworked scenario. It will finally damage machine completely, without any repairing option. It will not just waste your valuable time, but can even waste hefty amount. Therefore, for maintaining the condition of HVAC, you have to take a note of dirty air filters. This task is considered to be a simple, and most importantly, an inexpensive option.
Taking care of air filters
According to researchers, it has been found out that you need to clean and change air filters if needed, at every three months. As the air surrounding you is quite dirty, due to dust and airborne germs hovering around, therefore; your air filters of HVAC system tends to get dirty quite often. Make sure to change your previous dirty filters with new one or clean it proficiently.
- Maximum homes comprise of any particular heat pump or furnace. Each home is known for using any separate type of air filter or screen. The main aim is to filter the air-borne particles and to provide you with a healthy air. Therefore, changing those filters is a must, after a certain point of time.
- A system, which suffers from such dirty air filters, can suddenly see changes in pressure drop and it might lead to reduced amount of air flow. This condition is also stated as a blowout. It will finally result in air infiltration. This will make the machine to work harder, and undue stress can hamper the machine and finally makes it stop.
- There are times when such filters, as exposed to condensation, can also turn out to be damp, and it might finally lead to mold growth. This might lead to some serious health deteriorating condition. Therefore, it might lead to replacement and servicing of the machine, as it solely depends on the severe condition of a moisture problem.
- In case, you have pets, then you need to change the filter quite often. Your pet’s dander can prove to be an airborne substance and will circulate through the ventilation system of your HVAC. It is mostly related to other dust particles, which hamper the condition of your working HVAC.
When to change it
There are sometimes, when your HVAC gets hold of dirty filters quite easily. If you are running your system for six months, then it might be the right time to change your filter. If you have a large family, it means your house undergo through more household dirt, dust, and debris. On the other hand, if you have a tendency of smoke indoor, then the smoke ashes will get the air filter and making it dirty. In case, you live in a windy area, changing unit is a must. Ensure to keep these situations in mind and change the filter, accordingly.continue reading
As the adage goes, a stitch in time saves nine, so does it apply for all modern amenities that we use. Regular maintenance of your equipment will give you better service for longer periods without having to spend the extra dime for large repair works. Maintenance of any machinery involves providing the right accessories to it or refueling with the required materials, so as to enhance its functioning. It is done to maintain or improve the service quality of any gadget or machinery. Maintenance may also involve the fixing of small faults in the machinery to improve or enhance its performance.
Look after your HVAC well
Just as you will not drive your car for more than a measured distance without changing the oil and give it a good servicing, similarly your HVAC system would also run better with regular servicing. For a system that cools you during the summer heat and keeps you warm during those cold winter days, it is not too much to service it during spring and fall. Regular HVAC repair at least once a year will keep all the parts – the furnace, cooling and heating system fit for the next season. A bi-annual maintenance contract will help you to ensure efficient running of the system.
- Cleaning filters and replacement: Though the filter happens to be one of the most neglected aspects in HVAC maintenance routine, yet keeping it clean ensures high energy performance and good indoor air quality.
- Cleaning the ducts: Ducts are the passages through which the air passes. Keeping them free of mold, dust, and other contaminating elements will make sure that the indoor air is pollution free and will also prevent molds and mildews from growing indoors.
- Coils and insulators: Air conditioners and other heat pumps need periodic cleaning of the coils and straightening of the fins. Crushed fins or those that have become crooked can restrict the flow of air thus reducing the effective cooling of the system.
- Check drains: Air conditioners that dehumidify or dehumidifiers should have clean drains so that the condensate water does not pool up and leak into the walls and cause mold and mildew to develop. A periodic inspection will ensure that this does not happen.
- Check operation control systems: The programmable thermostat to control temperature and humidity need a yearly check.As the setting of the thermostat changes according to occupancy it is important to see that the settings match the operation.
- Lubrication: Proper lubrication will reduce friction and thus the wear and tear of the running parts in the long run.
Keep all bills low
Since HVAC consists of several parts that produce different actions of heating, ventilating and air-conditioning, smooth coordination and running of the parts will prevent problems and high costs in the future. You can get a timely HVAC repair done before the maintenance people gets too busy in summer and winter. So the best time you could ask your maintenance contractor to do the job is in spring and fall. An efficiently running HVAC system will also keep your electricity bills low.continue reading
The heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning system that serves you well all year round, will do well with timely servicing of its components and parts. The importance of maintaining your HVAC system extends beyond lowering electricity bills. Apart from giving you proper comfort level required as per climatic conditions, the system is also responsible for maintaining proper air balance in the building. In commercial and public utility buildings, HVAC is also responsible for maintaining proper condition for functioning of other gadgets and systems. Very often, a tightening of budgets, be it at homes or in offices will have its effects on maintenance of systems, HVAC included.
Duct cleaning is important
Among the different components and parts of the HVAC, the filter, coils and insulator, the duct is perhaps the longest and one of the most important to maintain. It is the duct that carries the air and circulates it all through the building. Not just comfort level, but the health of the occupants would also depend on the air circulated through the ducts. So cleaning air ducts is almost as important as running the HVAC system.
- Filters are supposed to maintain air quality in any HVAC system. Regular cleaning of filters will thus assure good air quality indoors. Though cleaning of the filters controls the rate of contamination of the circulated air, yet, accumulation of contaminants occur in the ducts too over time. This is why cleaning of the ducts is important too for a good quality of air.
- Cleaning the ducts will ensure that it is free of dust that keeps accumulating over the months as the system runs. Polluted air that is circulated through the air ducts is the causes of perennial allergy problem in those who are susceptible especially children and the elderly.
- Ducts that are not cleaned at regular intervals also accumulate mold and mildew fungi in them which then circulate all through the building and cause them to disperse and take growth on building walls and other parts. These air-borne fungi also cause allergy even among normal people.
- Moreover, the presence of contaminants in the system, impact the overall functioningof the system, and this includes the ducts too. The debris build-up in the ducts prevent air from flowing freely and thus reduces efficiency in terms of maintain temperature finally resulting increased energy costs.
- The air debris that is circulated through the unclean ducts do not remain in the building alone but recirculate and settle on the coils, vents and other components too. This affects the overall system efficiency and more energy consumption.
- The ducts are a part of the ventilation system that includes the blower and the air vents too. While cleaning the ducts, it is important to clean these parts also as they work as an integrated whole in circulating fresh air along with the filters.
Keep mold and mildew at bay
Replacement of air filters cleaning air ducts regularly is not just good health for the system but good health for you too. It is you who will have to spend long hours in the HVAC environment and breath in the air that is circulated. Circulation of clean and fresh air through clean ducts amounts to good health. Other than that, clean air will also keep mold and mildew formation at bay cutting your cost of treating indoors for mold and mildew formation.continue reading
Whenever you are talking about HVAC system, you are basically talking about heating, cooling and even ventilating components. These all work together in a complete set to make your indoor areas a comfortable one, during any months. Just like any other complex system, there are some individual components, which can break down or some others might function in a poor manner. These are known to have influenced the entire system, as a complete whole. In order to keep these segments working together completely, you have to deal with the leaks and other faulty areas, first. Always take help of professionals, who are associated with this segment for long.
Ways to get the best refrigerants
There are different parts of HVAC, which can create some problematic situation later. If you are looking for the most promising faulty area, then you would definitely have to gain some knowledge on refrigerant leaks. For the first step, you have to diagnose the problem accurately. In case, the machine fails to function properly, there are different problems, which you might be facing, apart from such leaks in refrigerants.
- You need to check out the lost cooking capacity to understand where exactly the refrigerant stands, at this point of time. This is another important way, which will help you to know on why this machine is not working.
- In case, you think that the refrigerant level I completely zero, then you just has to recharge the system first. You have to fix and find more about the refrigerant leak. It is really a cheap option to add a new refrigerant to the system, but you need to check out the right model number and version first.
- An air conditioning is normally termed to be sealed in nature and you are not supposed to use any used refrigerant. These gases are not considered to be a substance and it is consumed in an HVAC system. In case, of any emergency, you do not have any other option but to add a refrigerant to the old place. However, no matter how much you try, you have to fix and find the refrigerant leak first, for the final segment.
- In case, the gas leaks in a valve or access port, there are some other steps, which you need to be acquainted with. The HVAC technician makes it a point to connect he gauge set first and the valves are again need to be salvaged and clean properly. There are times, when the old valve is not working at all, and you need to change it with a new one.
Repair can be an easy option
When the gas leaking associated with refrigerator is in AC or with the heat pumping copper tube, repair can turn out to be an easy option. You can always use the damaged line for re-soldering and with the help of higher silver content and higher temperament torch. These are some of the reliable solutions, which you need to get hold of, while dealing with refrigerant leaks solutions. Always remember to get in touch with the companies first, and look for professional help.continue reading
You must conduct replacement of filter on regular time-period, otherwise the polluted and the dirt laden air may create trouble in your HVAC unit. If you do not replace the filter, then it might end up in destroying your fan motor of HVAC unit. In fact, replacing the filter seems a better option for you, as it might cause hazard to HVAC system which will cost you much more. You will find that if the filter is not replaced, then it might degrade the air of your home, resulting in serious ailments.
Filter maintenance and monitoring
HVAC filter maintenance will let in a gush of fresh and pure air inside the rooms, as well as outdoors. You must look forward to keep your HVAC ductwork clean by daily maintenance which also increases the longevity of the unit. You should also perform replacement of your HVAC units, so that there is no microbial growth inside the HVAC units. You should also take care of the unit if it is damp, because dampness in the unit will only promote mold growth and their colonies. You watch out for certain criteria before changing filters.
- HVAC filter replacement is crucial, but you will understand that monitoring procedure is also important. You must take care of the fact that the maximum amount of air is filtered. You can opt for pressure drop switches which will act as alarm for building automated system which will alert you that it’s time to replace the filters.
- You should check for filter load particles and troubles HVAC unit air flow. If you find excess particle in air filter, then immediately call professionals for maintenance, or seek to replace the filter. The air filter will blow out once it is laden with excess particles.
- You must scrutinize the filter details if you want to replace it. You should look for proper sizes for the filter which would be apt for your home. You try to conduct effective air filter maintenance like filter cleaning with a rag, especially when the fans are not working.
- You will observe that Heat Exchanger furnaces possess twenty years warranty, while warranty for its other parts is 5-10 years. Again, central air units possess five to ten years warranty on both its parts and compressor. Therefore as long as warranty period is there, you can conduct maintenance before replacement.
- You can change the air conditioner filter during the winter. Furnace air filters are three types- disposable air filter, 3M filter and non disposable filter. You try to change disposable filter every month, 3M filter within 2-3 months and clean non disposable filter every month.
Determining factors for changing filters
You must know that filter replacement saves energy bills upto 15% of total energy costs spent. You must consider certain factors before changing your filters. You should look out for filter life span which will provide you the idea when to change it. You may check for air quality of your house which also gives some amount of idea when to change it. If you have more family members, or your home is located near any dust prone or highly polluted area, you should change the filter often.continue reading
An integral part of a Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning system is the compressor. Such machines utilize varied components that work concurrently. These elements are necessary for maintaining an ideal temperature at homes and workplaces. Compressors aid in pumping refrigerant to the line-sets and coils in a system. It comprises of a scroll or pump, stator or windings, and a rotor. These elements are connected to hermetic seal tunnels present in the HVAC machine. Charge or refrigerant amount in a machine can affect its performance. Excessive use of liquid refrigerants can enter a compressor and cause mechanical issues.
Fundamental procedures and components
Proper charging of systems is necessary for ensuring optimal functioning. It allows of appropriate suction of gas that keeps windings in compressors cool. Refrigerant oil is stored in the compressor crankcase. These aspects aids in lubricating other system mechanisms. However, if there is inadequate oil or refrigerant, then it can cause overloading of an appliance’s cycle. While it may not cause any electrical damage, it can lead to malfunctioning of certain mechanical parts.
- Compressors usually condense superheated gas from low to high pressure. Suction gas has to be superheated or else it can damage a compressor. This aspect aids in pulling refrigerant from evaporators and then pushes it via a condenser.
- You can charge refrigerant levels by yourself. However, before beginning the recharging procedure, you must ensure routine maintenance of systems. Evaporator coils, air filters, condenser coils, blower wheels must be completely clean.
- For charging the compressor, you require specific tools. An appropriate set of gauges is connected to HVAC systems for measuring operating pressures. It essentially comprises of a low and high-pressure gauge and hoses that connect to an appliance’s ports. It is essential to ensure that you have appropriate refrigerants for your system.
- Gauges often comprise of a particular scale that has temperature and pressure values. Provided marks and values refer to the saturation temperature.
- You must shut the unit off before recharging a compressor. After this, attach the hoses from gauge manifold to a system’s pressure ports. Then you have to switch on the unit and allow it to function for fifteen minutes. It essentially readies the system for presenting stable operational features.
- After locating the compressor, you must utilize the refrigerant kit. It comprises of a service valve. These valves are fundamentally large connectors. Plugging these components is necessary into the compressor line of units. All you have to do is follow the instructions that are listed in the Freon or refrigerant kit.
Effective recharging of units
Proper plugging and fitting of service valves is crucial. Provided in the refrigerant kit is a small valve connector that is the tap valve. You must plug this into a unit for appropriately charging the compressor. Proper set up ensures an uninterrupted flow of refrigerant in the system. For this, you have to switch on a higher setting that will properly push the Freon into units. It is fundamental to add requisite amounts of Freon or solvents into compressor lines. After this step, you can switch off the HVAC machine and remove the refrigerant container and two valves.continue reading